Sunday, May 1, 2011

Osama Bin Laden is Dead

The White House is reporting that U.S. officials raided a compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan tonight and killed Osama Bin Laden. It's a big news story. Susan was sitting at the computer and there were several posts on my facebook account sharing the news. We turned the TV on to watch. I am not sure what to think about the event in our history. President Obama gave a speech to describe the occurrences. The speech gave me confidence that it was the right thing to do. A friend on FB mentioned that it doesn't make her feel safer. I get that.

Just some idle thoughts as time passes on.

I am sure it will improve Obama's approval rating, which could use some help.

I was looking at Abbottabad on Google Maps and on Wikipedia and it looks like a nice place with a Hockey stadium (field) and a Cricket team.

I am not sure this summarizes it well, but it is notable.
 ‎"I’ve never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure." – Mark Twain

Switching between CNN and Fox News, the Fox interviewee (Bush's former Chief of Staff  Andy Card) credits Bush for setting up Obama to find Bin Laden.

Lastly, thanking God for someone else's death makes me cringe. I think of the news clips (maybe from Al Jazeera) or videos I have seen when people in (insert country of choice) are praising (insert diety of those countrymen) have shot down a helicopter or killed a U.S. soldier.

Amazing that they could keep the 8 month effort quiet long enough to carry the effort out. A NY Times post is a sign of the times http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/how-the-osama-announcement-leaked-out/

The crowds at the White House and Ground Zero look pretty big. CNN describing how transportation security will be stepped up tomorrow. 

Interesting to see friends posting to facebook based on the news website they are referring to. Academics tend to prefer NY Times, conservatives definitely Fox, and lefties are MSNBC or NPR. 

I am hoping that this will translate into prosperity for the country. It would be nice if this could bring the world together, but I am uncertain we'll see that. May the world become a more peaceful place.

After a few hours of news coverage, it's time to turn it off. 

No comments: